Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The Pish-Posh Horror Challenge blog

I refuse to refer to this segment as lazy. These are the answers in this 30 day challenge that I just don't have much to say about. I will gladly add blurbs, but as far as filling an entire blog? It's just not there.

Plus it'll also help me meet this challenge on time for Halloween, since I started this challenge way too late this month.

So here's the quick rundown:

Day #8 - My Favorite Foreign Horror Movie

I'm not a huge fan of foreign horror. For instance, the Japanese are big on ghost stories such as the Japanese turned American movies, The Ring and The Grudge. These don't scare me too much, though I must admit that The Ring freaked me out a bit. Maybe because when I first watched it I had just had a son and named him Aidan (spelled the same way as David Dorfman's young boy character in the film). Of course, they did make up for it with Audition - but man, that movie is brutal! The Italians are more crafty with their visuals. This means gore and I can live without the gore. Plus the dubbing is too comical to stay "in the moment" during a horrific scene. But if you want to try a good, classic Italian horror, I would have to recommend Suspiria. You're not a horror fan till you cover all the basics and this movie is definitely a basic!
The Germans... they're just plain sick as I feel they go more for shock value. Can anyone say Human Centipede? (And no, I do not recommend this movie. *gag!*)

Not your David Bowie's Labyrinth
But recently, I was introduced to the Spanish film Pan's Labyrinth by my best friend one evening as we vegged on the couch. I asked him if he thought I could use it in my horror challenge, seeing as it is more Fantasy than Horror. Our conclusion? It's my blog, I can do whatever I want.
Ophelia/Princess Moanna (Baquero)
First things, first... David Bowie and his cup are nowhere to be found in this movie. There is no Goblin King. Visually captivating, this movie had some very serious and adult situations. It's nothing like the 80's film Labyrinth (which I thought it would be simply because the word Labyrinth was in the title). Furthermore, just because our lead protagonist, Ophelia/Princess Moanna portrayed by the young and beautiful Ivana Baquero, is under the age of twelve does not make this a child's movie. (Yes, I had assumed it was.) Better than your typical horror movie, you become emotionally involved with the characters through their development, not circumstance. Your heart will break and you will feel anger and betrayal... and fear.
Faun - friend or foe?
Pale man
So how do I justify calling this "horror"? Well, the Faun was a bit creepy to me and I didn't feel I could trust him. But what tipped me over the edge was Pale Man!! The Dude wore his eyes on his hands and had the body of an 80 year old man! That is scary! Oh, and apparently he eats children.

This movie is in Spanish, so if you are illiterate, you'll be up the creek. Bring a friend and have them read the subtitles to you! This movie is not to be missed, even if you don't like horror.



Day 10 - A Horror Movie that Everyone Loves, but I Don't

The Rocky Horror Picture Show.
Can't stand it. It's stupid. I don't even enjoy the music.
Go ahead, cast your stones. I'll take it as long as I don't have to watch The Rocky Horror Picture Show. That would be real torture.




Day 24 - A Horror Movie Character that Describes Me

Halloween's Laurie Strode (Curtis)
I would like to think of myself more like Laurie Strode (Jamie Lee Curtis) from Halloween. She was the only one of her friends that came across as pure. Am I pure now? No way! I've had two kids, but in high school I was. Does that count? Even if it does count, I was never a responsible teen like she was. My homework was never done. In that sense, I was more like her friend Lynda... totally.
Elm Street's Nancy Thompson (Langenkamp)

But I'm probably more of a Nancy Thompson (Heather Langenkamp) of A Nightmare on Elm Street. Feisty and resourceful, even when she's scared - mainly because what has feared her has also hurt her. She's ready to fight, with fear in her eyes.
And what a smart ass.




Day 25 - Favorite Christmas/Holiday Horror Movie

"I killed it..."
I'm not a big fan of Christmas horror movies. There's nothing worse to me than imagining pure terror on the night that baby Jesus was born. That time of year shouldn't be filled with blood and horror; it should be filled with love, wonder,sweetness, and Charlie Brown!
And as far as I'm concerned Valentine's Day is a horror movie. It's not a holiday at all. Blech!
Magueys roasting on an open fire...
But, if I have to choose, I'd definitely go for Gremlins. It's starts out very merry, slowly becomes questionable much like a sci-fi movie (think Alien), and then turns south. Bad. It gave a few laughs and it wasn't really scary, but remember I don't want it to be scary because baby Jesus was born.
And of course, the movie ends bittersweet... much like how some of us feel after Christmas.

My other choice is The Nightmare Before Christmas. It's the perfect combination of Halloween meets Christmas. It's feels light simply because it's an animated film, it's musical, and it's a tad humorous but don't be fooled, there are a few spook scenes. All in one big package that only a twisted and creative mind like Tim Burton can deliver. By the end of the movie, everything is back where it belongs. Christmas is with Christmas and Halloween is with Halloween. Perfect!




Day 26 - A Horror Movie for a Chicken

Well, I would probably suggest the above mentioned, Gremlins or The Nightmare before Christmas. Another option would be one of the horror classics like Dracula, Frankenstein, The Wolf Man, The Mummy, or maybe even Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein. *snicker*

Beetlejuice? Maybe Tim Burton is too dark.


Day 28 - A Horror Movie I'd Like to See Remade/Rebooted

None of them (with VERY FEW exceptions to the rule - see Dawn of the Dead).
If it's not broke, don't fix it. Hollywood, you have become stale with your lame and lazy attempts to entertain us - and this no longer just pertains to horror anymore. They are remaking everything! Just stop. If you can't come up with an original idea then don't put anything out. We are all pretty content with what the masterminds did already. We can live without you and your waste of time and money.

Now, I will spend quality time with each and every entry now....

Onto the challenge of this blog series!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!